The Adventures of the Halter Family...

Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do so you will be certain to find something that you have never seen before. Follow it up, explore all around it, and before you know it, you will have something worth thinking about to occupy your mind. All really big discoveries are the results of thought. - Alexander Graham Bell




Monday, February 14, 2011

Learning to Love Something I Hate

One this little love day... I get to learn to love something I hate.

So today and for the last few days I have been given the opportunity to figure out potential budgets for the cost of our summer orientations for this coming summer. Just a little bit of background, my office hosts 50+ orientations a summer for new and transfer students to come to Metro State. We will see about 6500 students in person and another 5000 online. Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it!

This is my handy dandy little calculator and worksheets. The green is to make it brighter than my mood.
And in order for us to meet the needs of potentially 11,500 students we need STUDENTS! Orientation leaders to be exact. And that's what I do, I recruit, hire, train, and supervise students in 5 different leadership positions in our office- which is great. EXCEPT  I have to pay them and there's this little thing called a budget that is making it a little hard to do so.

I don't speak numbers is what I told my students today. Numbers and I are not friends and we probably never will be. Ok, wait, I take that back- numbers and I are great friends when they come in dollars and numbers on a credit card. Let's just say that I'm really good at spending money and not so great at budgeting. Just not my strength. I've tried- and ask my husband- I'm SO much better than I used to be at spending. Until this summer for work.
It looks sophisticated but I'm really bluffing

But to do 50+ orientations for students and their support (i.e. families, friends, significant others, etc.) we need students. So somehow I get to figure out the magic numbers for this summer. UGH. Sigh.

So I'm trying to embrace this opportunity and become one with the numbers. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment