The Adventures of the Halter Family...

Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do so you will be certain to find something that you have never seen before. Follow it up, explore all around it, and before you know it, you will have something worth thinking about to occupy your mind. All really big discoveries are the results of thought. - Alexander Graham Bell




Wednesday, July 27, 2011

9 months up.... 9 months down.

It's official. Connor is 9 months old and its been 9 months without being pregnant. Seems like way longer than that!

So many kind, caring mom's out there shared the 9 months up, 9 months down pregnancy theory (?) with me after having Connor. Meaning it took 9 months to gain all the weight for the baby and give yourself 9 months to get rid of all that weight from the baby. So with my anniversary present and here, it was time to evaluate the weight loss part of 9 months down.

I am very proud to say I am within 5-7 pounds of my pre-baby weight. Given that for the first trimester the only food that sounded good was Taco Bell and McDonalds I would say that's a victory. (and if you know me well, I HATE Taco Bell- can't touch it with a ten foot pole and still today when I my students eat it I gag. But apparently this is not true when I'm pregnant.) And in the process of loosing weight, I've learned to appreciate running, and even have mastered dead lifting. Never in a million years would I have thought I would say those two things positively and in the same sentence!

But my clothes don't fit me like they used to. And that last five pounds is hanging on with a death grip. And I might have the Weiler waistline. Well, I guess I've always had it- but now you can see it. For those of you not (ahem) blessed with this body type let me explain.... it means your short waisted and wide hipped. You look like your tucking your shirt into your bra and everything you wear has an empire waistline whether it's suppose to or not. It's fabulous and all the runway models are dying for it!

There are so many women out there who say to me, "But look at the reason your body has changed!" Yes, I am so grateful for Connor. But why does the statement "I just want my body back" make me feel like a horrible mom? I also would just like to carry a cute purse and not a diaper bag. But as I am learning there are many things that are no longer mine for a while.

I am sure there are other mom's out there that feel the same and differently. All I know is that with all the joys and struggles of pregnancy and being a mom, this is one struggle that is harder to swallow.

1 comment:

  1. My hips have spread. Though I have attained pre-pregnancy weight after each baby my actual bone structure has shifted and I believe there's a decent chance the size 6 & 4 of my youth is gone forever.

    And I have a stretch mark across my belly button. On the plus, my bust has increased so there's a little more proportionately to off-set the lard baby that would disappear if I would just do a sit up once in awhile. ;)

    My doctor told me our hormones are "normal" again until the baby is 2...so keep giving yourself time.

    Oh! And there will come a time, soon!, when you can go out of the house with one diaper and a small pack of wipes tucked into a normal-sized purse. It'll be the most liberating thing ever...

    ReplyDelete