The Adventures of the Halter Family...

Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do so you will be certain to find something that you have never seen before. Follow it up, explore all around it, and before you know it, you will have something worth thinking about to occupy your mind. All really big discoveries are the results of thought. - Alexander Graham Bell




Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Bathroom Redo Part #1

Yes, its true. It was time for our house to say goodbye to the 90's sponge painted wall and hello to something new. If you think I'm joking look below.
Close up of the former bathroom walls. 


More to see. 

Yes, some owner prior to us thought that painting the walls and ceiling tan (which really looks orange) and then sponge painting brown over it was a good idea. And if it was 1996 when our house was built I would say yes, this was a good idea. But there have been owner since then who have had to experience the sponge.

Well I refused to deal with it anymore!

So I put all of my countless hours on Pinterest (seriously, if you have not checked it out, do so and ask me for an invite!) to work.

So far, we've primed and painted. The color I chose of the grey/brown is called Tumbled Stone from Home Depot Behr collection.

I've also decided to do a paneling effect on the bottom of the walls. We measured up 50 inches for the top of our chair rail and are putting 1x2 every 15 inches around the bottom.

P.S. So I have to digress for a minute-- Did you know that 2x4s, 1x2s, and any other lumber beams are not really 1 inch by 2 inches it's rounded up and down! So a 2x4 is really 1 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches. Whoever came up with that is stupid in my opinion. Really?!

Here's some of the work in progress:
Primer on the walls- bye bye sponge!

Staining the existing cabinet walnut.

Paneling effect

And I'm super excited about my DIY roman shade that I found here. I already made it- took my about 45 minutes and it works great and looks great! Pictures to come. 
(I definitely think there are more roman shades in our future!)
Fabric for the shade- the grey/brown flower is the color for the top of the walls. 

I have to give a shout out and a thanks to my Dad, Steve Dinise, who has helped a ton on all of this. He knows way more and is so good at this stuff. I'm so thankful to be learning from him. 

Up next is removing the old counter top and sink. This I cannot wait for! More pictures to come!

1 comment:

  1. yay! so excited for you to get modern! can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete