The Adventures of the Halter Family...

Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do so you will be certain to find something that you have never seen before. Follow it up, explore all around it, and before you know it, you will have something worth thinking about to occupy your mind. All really big discoveries are the results of thought. - Alexander Graham Bell




Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner

We had breakfast for dinner last night.

Something about having different foods at the wrong meal just made the world right. In learning more about cooking,  find breakfast the easiest to make for me. My first love is baking, but with breakfast foods you can just get so creative and that makes it my second favorite thing to make. Luckily Joe loves breakfast so it's a match made in heaven.

Breakfast started with Sweet Sausages by Paula Dean. Now let me just warn you, nothing, and I mean nothing, by Paula Dean is good for you. It is good for your soul and tastes amazing! I am a huge fan of bacon and syrup so how could it be wrong to have sausages and syrup!


I also made breakfast potatoes. Nothing fancy but I have to say that I am getting really good at cooking with oil. There were no baking instructions on the bag of potatoes so needless to say, a pan, oil, and a little frying and we breakfast potatoes.

Now, I have to have a sidebar, because I cannot think about breakfast potatoes without a mention and shout out to Paxton's Potatoes at The Village Deli in Bloomington, Indiana. They were picked as the best food in Indiana by the food network and not many who have had them will argue. In short they are potato cubes that should just be called cut up french fries, with sausage gravy smothered over the top with melted cheddar cheese. Sounds simple, and it is, but it is the best thing I have ever had for breakfast.

Ok, back to our dinner. I finished up with eggs in toast. I saw somewhere someone cut out a circle in a piece of bread and crack an egg inside of it to make eggs over easy. I believe a more common name is called eggs in a nest. Joe's mom used to make something called eggs on toast so in that same nature, I am naming this eggs in toast :-)

Happily this was a fun and different thing to have for dinner and in the nature of this blog, trying new things, and discovering something good, breakfast for dinner is something I encourage you all to try just to shake things up and do something different!

3 comments:

  1. Breakfast for dinner is a staple in our household! It just tastes better at 6 PM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had blueberry pancakes and bacon for dinner on Monday. When I am tired or haven't planned ahead what we will be eating, "breakfast" meals are an easy (and tasty) fall back that I know the kids will ALWAYS eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy and Psxton's Potatoes are synonymous when you visit "The Deli". Bloomimgton misses you!

    ReplyDelete