The Adventures of the Halter Family...

Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do so you will be certain to find something that you have never seen before. Follow it up, explore all around it, and before you know it, you will have something worth thinking about to occupy your mind. All really big discoveries are the results of thought. - Alexander Graham Bell




Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sweet Potatoes and Rosemary

So in the last few days, I've tried some new cooking things. I'm learning that the art of cooking is not that hard but the art of adding flavor is! I'm such a newbie when it comes to seasonings, herbs, etc. When I was at Barnes and Noble the other day another customer was shopping for a book called the Flavor Bible. It was not available in the store and if that is truly the name of the cookbook, I will be adding it to my collection quickly!

So I tried sweet potatoes and rosemary this week for dinner. I have to say that it is my new favorite flavor combination! It's sweet and a little nutty :-) And there's more...

Excitingly, it was suggested to me that I change to whole wheat grains for bread, pasta, etc. And then I found a recipe that used whole wheat waffles rather than regular. I was curious so I put up some at the store and sure enough they are delicious! More whole wheat for me! Next on to whole wheat tortillas...
Whole Wheat Waffles with Syrup, Bananas, & sprinkle with Cinnamon Sugar!

Here's to trying more seasonings and whole wheat this week! Quinoa is on deck....

2 comments:

  1. Check out Penzey's Spices in Denver too - I was just there (well - in Boulder) yesterday and bought some garam masala for Indian cooking and a spice blend they say is good on sandwiches and salads :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also make homemade bread products with whole weat flour. I substitute it in every recipe that calls for flour. It does change the flavor a bit, but still delicious and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete