The Adventures of the Halter Family...

Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do so you will be certain to find something that you have never seen before. Follow it up, explore all around it, and before you know it, you will have something worth thinking about to occupy your mind. All really big discoveries are the results of thought. - Alexander Graham Bell




Monday, January 31, 2011

Cold Comfort

When the day outside all day looked like this...

And the temperature never got higher than this....


I decided we were having this for dinner!

 
And what is this... this is bacon, cheesy potato soup! It was the most simple new recipe I found and with using reduced fat or fate free dairy it's not too bad for you! There are 4 ingredients: 1can cream of potato soup, 3 cups of milk, shredded cheddar cheese, and frozen country hash brown potatoes.

You throw them all in a sauce pan bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for 10 minutes. I added salt and pepper, garlic salt, chives, and onion flakes for flavor. I garnished with a little more cheese and bacon. It was amazing and warmed our house up on a cold, cold Colorado day.

 It was such a hit... this is my husband at the end of our meal.
I'm thinking about renaming it Midwest Man Chowder because any meat and potatoes man will be happy.

Weather forecasters are predicting a high of 4 degrees tomorrow and lows overnight tonight in the negatives with a wind chill of -20. I'm happy to be home, warm, and cuddled up with a cute baby, and wonderful hubby (even if he licks the bowl.)

And because the weather is going to continue to chill our bones this week, I'm making Chicken Tortilla soup tomorrow night and Ranch Mac and Cheese Wednesday hoping that they will warm us like the Midwest Man Chowder did :-)

I hope that you are enjoying warmer weather than we are and if not, stay warm, cozy and comfy! These are the nights I wish we had fireplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment